October 3, 2019

What a Pair!

Whats on my mind? The complications of married life. I tease Himself mercilessly, but he has broad shoulders and can take it. He also has a great sense of humor. The following exchange took place exactly as stated, yesterday.

This is plant-and-divide season in the garden. Our friend Joan had been hoping for some of our excess of Black-Eyed Susans, so Himself dashed over to drop some off.

Joan is the generous type, so in exchange, she gave Himself some apples and pears from her garden.

Bent over my desk, I heard Himself quietly muse: “Joan ... So sweet! So tender! What a pair!”

I leaped from my desk to yell: “Wha-a-a-a-a-t???”

My outcry startled Himself. “I was just thinking about Joan,” he said. “I’m eating one of the pears she gave us. It's so sweet and tender!”

©  Nicole Parton, 2019